In order to take care of a loved one with Mate Wareware-Dementia, care partners and whānau also need to take care of themselves. We offer support groups where whānau can share what it is like with others who understand, learn from each other, and have a special time over kai. Our team also provide tailored education for whānau facing challenges, and can tautoko-support whānau through the adjustment of their loved one entering specialised care.
Support is met in a variety of ways:
- Monthly Carer Support Groups throughout the regions.
- Involvement of the Dementia Canterbury Kaumātua/ Cultural Advisor during the initial Home Visit, as well as support along the journey.
- Introduction to Living Well with Dementia is designed for people and whānau who are in the earlier stages of their journey. It is a four part education course for both the person living with dementia and their care partner, held over four consecutive Friday mornings. This free course provides education on understanding dementia, communication strategies, self-care, strategies to manage memory loss, and services available to provide support.
- Making A Difference one day course for Care Partners. This free education course is offered twice per year in Christchurch ( on a Saturday), and once a year in Ashburton, North Canterbury, and the West Coast.
- Specialist Dementia Education Series – Specialist guest speakers present on a topic associated with dementia. These free seminars occur twice monthly at Dementia Canterbury, and/or via zoom.
- Post Placement Group – Following the placement of a family member into permanent residential care, there can be a range of emotions, alongside the need for adjustment and coming to terms with this change. Dementia Canterbury offers this course three times each year for family members who are going through this transition.
Dementia Canterbury serves the Christchurch and Wider Canterbury regions, as well as the West Coast. Not all our services are available in all areas. Please contact your Key Worker on 03 379 2590 / West Coast 0800 259 226 to discuss what options are available in your area.